Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

I gave up on being a Catholic years ago. There are so many things that I just don't agree with regarding the Church, that I decided it was better to leave all together than to be a giant, raging hypocrite. So, here we are, another Lenten season upon us, and I have a strange lost sort of feeling about not giving anything up. The truth is, I don't want to give up anything. I am stressed out all the time, so having the added stress of a sacrifice that is supposed to make me stronger seems absurd. Years ago, the priest at my parent's church said that one doesn't necessarily have to give something up, one could instead do something that would make her or him stronger or better in some way. So, with that in mind, here is what I want to do over the next 38 days of Lent: I want to get my house straightened up. I want to have it clean and organized. I want it to not look like such a dump all the time. This is going to take A LOT of work, but it gives me a goal. I am going to get rid of all of the clothing that doesn't fit anyone, get rid of the garbage and just generally dig out of the mess. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

1 comment:

Margie said...

I have an aunt who reads only non-fiction during Lent- she says it forces her to do her homework, history, science, biography, how things happen- not all this happy-ever-after nonsense. After Easter she can appreciate a good mystery so much more.