Thursday, May 1, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes

I got so much sleep last night, I (almost) don't know what to do with myself. I finally managed to put away several loads of laundry and get the trash put out for pick up today. I might even vacuum and dust - all in the same day! The best part of it is that I know what we're having for supper. If I know what I'm cooking., I can make sure we eat early enough that I can get the kitchen cleaned before bedtime. That makes the next day go much better, and so on. I hate getting up to yesterday's mess.

We decided to use our economic stimulus money to buy plants and seeds for the garden. We weren't going to use it, but we figure if we buy all sorts of stuff that will give us lots of food in the near future, we wouldn't have to stimulate the economy this fall. In addition to the seeds, etc., we ordered new chickens and turkeys. We will butcher the turkeys in the fall and probably do the chickens in early winter. It will be so exciting to have lots of turkey in the freezer. The only time we ever have turkey now is at Thanksgiving when they are cheap. I would never just buy one to have if it weren't on sale. We can have turkey twice a month if we get enough males!

We accidentally forgot to bring in the brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower plants that we bought the other day. It got down to 18 degrees last night. DH spritzed them with water and I put them in the basement before the sun came up. I haven't had the heart to go see if they are okay. I hope they are; it'll be a serious bummer if they all died.

We don't have to buy any seed potatoes because we have enough left over from last year that are all sprouty. We'll be able to put those in the ground next week. I am also going to get my herbs planted. It doesn't have to be super warm to plant parsley and basil. I have to keep working in the strawberry patch so that the plants aren't all choked with weeds. It's so exciting to be gardening again!

I do have some bad news to report. The five lambs that were born last week have been lost to a predator - most likely a coyote. DH is going to electrify the fence and the ewes will be locked in the barn at night. Also, any coyotes will be shot on site. We can't tolerate our money "crop" being eaten.

Pictures will be coming. DH needs to show me how to download them from the digital camera. I can take it from there.

No comments: