Sunday, July 13, 2008

Family News

I had a very good time at my family reunion yesterday. As it turns out, my Uncle Dick and Aunt Helen were not there, which was a bummer. However, I did get to see my cousin Andy, whom I have not seen for at least 15 years. He is our family historian, and had some very interesting new information about our relatives in England. As it turns out, our last name was misspelled when the first group came to Philadelphia sometime in the 1800s. He is going to send me the information when he gets back home to Florida. I'm very interested in seeing what he has. There was some bad news, too. My cousin Julie has a tumor on her brain stem. There is no definite news yet as to what the course of treatment will be. She will let me know more after she has some more tests in September. Please keep her in your prayers.

Mostly, my dad's sister was driving me crazy! She kept saying, with pity in her voice, "You have your hands full." I really don't get it. She had five children, too! She didn't have a farm, nor did she homeschool, so I guess she thinks this is just taxing me no end. Let me state loud and clear that I love my life, and I have no regrets about having five kids, living on a farm, or homeschooling! I asked a friend of mine today if I look like I'm miserable. She reassured me that I look fine. Yes, I suppose I'm a little tired, but not raked over the coals by any means.

Lots of people said that they loved talking to my kids because they are smart and polite. I always thank them for the lovely compliments, and I usually credit homeschooling for the fact that they don't behave like animals in public. I think that being at home in a cooperative atmosphere has helped them to know how to behave. They are also expected to be polite at home. They thank me for the meals I prepare and they always add a "please" when they ask for something. I wouldn't take less. I also ask them to do things in a polite way. We all give as good as we get.

I made the most amazing dip today. It's called brocomle. Here's the recipe:

1c. cooked brocolli - whirled in the food processor
1/4c. lowfat sour cream
1/4c. lowfat mayo
1/4t. salt
1/4-1/2t. corriander
2T parmesan cheese
1/4c. grated chedder cheese
onion to taste

Honestly, you would never know it has brocolli in it. We all eat brocolli here, but I have so much out of the garden right now that I was looking for something different to do with it. This is great with crackers or veggies.

Time to get the babies to bed!

1 comment:

Joy said...

I love anything with parmesan - even brocolli ;-)

I love getting my family all together. Your children sound lovely and are a credit to you I am sure.

I will keep your cousin in my thoughts.