Sunday, June 1, 2008

Busy Bees

We have been so busy around here, the days are just flying by. We finally got the brussels sprouts and broccoli in. The patch for the cauliflower and cabbage should be done today if it doesn't rain. We also got the onions in, but we have to dig the furrows to put in the leeks. Slowly but surely, we are getting a garden.

Jim has been busy with the bees. Last Sunday, he split a hive and, so far, both hives are doing well. He got four packages of bees in the mail yesterday and got them hived last night. They seem to be doing all right, too. We are just hoping that they don't swarm!

Our big excitement on Memorial Day was that the old broken down silo finally gave up the ghost. It's been fairly windy here and it was leaning more and more every day. Finally, a gust hit it and down it went. Thankfully, it twisted so it didn't take out the end of the barn. There weren't any animals around it; nothing was hurt. Only the pigeons lost their home.

I've been working on the afghan that I'm giving as a wedding gift in 20 days. I will have to knit like the wind, but it looks pretty good. I'll be having lots of late nights and early mornings to get it done in time.

Today I am searching for the plastic sleeves that I know I have so that I can get the boys' portfolios ready for our homeschool evaluation on Tuesday. It will be the third time we've been evaluated, so I'm not so nervous anymore. If I could just remember where those pesky sleeves are...Grrr!!

Okay, I have to be political for a moment. What is going on with this mess with Florida and Michigan?!? How stupid was it for the Democratic party officials in Florida and Michigan to change the dates of their primaries, be told their delegations would not be seated, and then cry about what happened? As a parent, I know that what I say has to count, so I try not to say stupid things that I know will come back to haunt me. The consequences were put forward and should be enforced. It is, in my opinion, wrong because the people in those states who wanted to vote a certain way didn't get the chance. This is a democratic society. We are all supposed to have a vote. All this stupid bickering isn't good for anyone. Note, I am not even for Senator Clinton, Senator Obama or Senator McCain. This election cycle isn't floating my boat at all. Ron Paul for president!

No comments: